Monday, September 3, 2012

UNEMPLOYMENT -- Week 4


So, I don't want to revert to whining again but... this week definitely had some lows along with the highs.

Let's start with the bad news first so we end on a happy note:
1) I met with a recruiter. Two actually. Both were equally depressing for different reasons including but not limited to: one of them just wanted to know more about fundraising for nonprofits (as he doesn't place jobs for anything I am even remotely qualfied for), I said WAY more than I meant to when answering the question 'would you want to work for a nonprofit' in the negative, and also because both of them after asking what I had been making at Benevon then immediately asked "what could you live with - what is your minimum?" before telling me (in essence) that they can't help me.
It was... less than encouraging.
On the positive side, I did get some helpful pointers which is always valuable.
And am grateful for the connection.

2) Unemployment - I didn't want to file to begin with but now to make matters ickier, there was a hold on my claim so I had to go down to the Cary office (since the Raleigh office never answered the phone). It was similar to a doctor's office in the sense that I have no idea why they set an appointment time because they seem to have no intention of seeing you any time near your appointment.

Though when I finally did see a live person she was very nice, gave me a bunch of papers and told me to call a number to find out what fax number to send my paycheck stub (once I figure out how to get a copy of it since I was direct deposit and don't have paycheck stubs). I called the number when I left the office (in Cary which is significant for this next part). While on hold I drove all the way to Walmart on Glenwood, returned some things, picked up some things, drove home, put away things, used the restroom, and then was disconnected. Total time on hold -- at least an hour. I didn't try again.
Confusing.

3) My roomie for the last month moved to Chicago on Sunday. Sadness.

Now for the happy news:

1) I am blessed to know fantastic people who were very quick to respond to my email about looking for a job with lots of helpful links, tips, and kind words! Thank you to all who responded!!

2) I had a phone interview that went well and now have a second in-person interview this week.

3) The babysitting site I created a profile for last week got me a hit this week. Unfortunately I can't do it because it the same time as my interview BUT it was a promising sign that it might yield some side jobs.

Incidentally, the refrain that I feel God gave me when I was about to tears with the recruiter, totally con fused with the state, and nervous before my interview was "I am your God, you are not at the whim of these people." It was a reminder that God's purpose for me will be fulfilled if I am seeking Him. Period.
Hopeful.

Fear not, for I am with you; Be not dismayed for I am your God.
I will strengthen you.
Yes, I will help you.
I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.
Isaiah 41:10

I have remained productive which is definitely an overarching goal but I finally got a little more serious about actually applying for jobs which I think may be the key to finding a new one. ;)

Goals accomplished - Week 4:
* Sent email to contacts for job lead help
* Met with a recruiter
* Registered online with 2 temp agencies
* Had phone interview
Jobs applied to this week: 3
Total jobs applied to: 4

No comments:

Post a Comment