Wednesday, September 12, 2012

UNEMPLOYED -- Week 5

Last week did not start out well. At. All.

But, let's not dwell there because I have good news!

The phone interview I had week before last led to an in-person interview this past Thursday followed by an offer on Friday and my acceptance today! I start TOMORROW. I was nervous to post this until the day was here so...

The response from a few of those I have told seems to be reluctant optimism. Wondering if this is just an in-between job or if I am actually excited about it. Ie- are you taking the first thing you were offered or...

So let me be clear, I am EXCITED.

If I am honest, I am more excited about the company than I am the job itself, however, I think I will like the job and the team I will be working with. I was hired by MANA. They are an agrochemical company and I will be doing (in essence) customer service. The company seems to really foster growth and development and as I am looking for somewhere that has career potential, I think it's a fit. I was really impressed with everyone I talked to there so while I am REALLY nervous for the newness of it all, I am ready to get back to work!

There is a twinge of... well that didn't take long... what about the plans I had for this time but... you can't relax and enjoy unemployed time. At least I am not wired that way. You feel guilty if you do ANYTHING that isn't job hunt related. You feel pressured to do things that just aren't you (like network). People ask you to do things during the day and you feel guilty saying 'no' because technically you could but if you say 'yes' you feel guilty because you SHOULD be job hunting. And you can't do anything fun because you are budgeting more than you have ever budgeted in your life. It's just all around not the "time off" people who aren't unemployed think it would be. Planning for this time is a joke.

Over the weekend I had Kairos training (in prison ministry) and the stories the ladies on the team shared, the things they have been brought through, the videos we watched of changed lives of inmates was amazing. This offer, that training, all of it reminded me how KNOWN I am and how loved by the Creator. That each of us has a tailored path based on who He's made us.

From the time I found out I was laid off I wasn't worried about the conclusion, I was worried about the DURING. I felt uneasy filing for unemployment because I strongly felt like it wasn't going to be long for me but then wisdom of others was to do it, just in case, and since I don't trust my own hearing of God I thought I was being stupidly optimistic but... I don't think I was.

I know great, God-fearing people who were, or have been unemployed for much longer than I was and I know God is in each of those stories but for ME... for who I am, how I am wired, this process going this way equates to Him knowing me and my feeling overwhelmingly cared for.
Cared for by Him. Cared for by my community. Known. Wow.

So, if you have helped me in any way in this process by prayer, job leads/hints/resources, encouraging words, read this blog, etc... please know I greatly appreciate you!

Thank you!
M

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
(yay for no more weekly blogging ;))

No comments:

Post a Comment